Updated Friday, May 29, at 5 p.m.
TXSEF finalists who participated in the TXSEF Research Review should have received an email with reviewers’ comments. Please check your spam folder if you do not see it in your inbox.
Updated Monday, May 4, at 8 a.m.
Research reviewers should have received an email this morning with a link and log-in instructions for reviewing assigned TXSEF abstracts. Please finish reviewing assigned abstract submissions by 11:59 p.m. CST on Monday, May 11. If you have any questions, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 855-919-0951.
Updated Monday, April 20, at 5 p.m.
TXSEF finalists who responded to our survey and chose to participate in the 2020 TXSEF Research Review were sent an email this evening with a link and log-in instructions for submitting their TXSEF project abstracts through our web-based portal. In addition to providing the abstract, students should be prepared to answer the following questions in the abstract portal:
- Where did you conduct your research and how did you collaborate with parents, teachers, scientists, engineers, or other professionals? (limit 250 words)
- Please describe an overview of the steps you took to complete your project. (limit 500 words)
- How successful was your project when you tested it? Based on your findings, what further testing is needed to improve upon your research? (limit 250 words)
** Those who participated on a team will need to individually log in, answer the questions and submit the team abstract. A student finalist can enter a team project even if other team members opted out of participating in the research review.
Submissions will be accepted through Monday, April 27 at 11:59 p.m. Our team of expert research reviewers will provide feedback to you by June 1, 2020.
If you have any questions, contact us at email@example.com or 855-919-0951.
Updated Friday, April 10, at 7 a.m.
During this time, everyone’s safety and well-being is our utmost concern. As such, TXSEF will not move forward as a competition. Rather, this year, it will become an online-only TXSEF Research Review. Every registered TXSEF finalist may volunteer to submit their project abstract, answer a few questions, and receive comments from our expert reviewers.
While participating in the 2020 TXSEF Research Review is voluntary, we would like ALL finalists who registered for TXSEF to visit tx.ag/txsef2020students and:
- Tell us whether you would like to participate in the TXSEF Research Review
- Provide a current mailing address where we can ship your TXSEF finalist medal (a personal mailing address, not a school address)
Please complete the survey by Friday, April 17, at noon. Those indicating a desire to participate in the TXSEF Research Review will receive more details and instructions on Monday, April 20.
Additionally, all TXSEF finalists — whether participating in the TXSEF Research Review or not — will be fully refunded their registration fees. For those who paid by credit card, the refund will be credited to the same card. Those who paid by check (including schools) will be sent paperwork to complete so a check refund can be processed. Please understand that all Texas A&M employees are working remotely; therefore, it could take 4-6 weeks to process credit card refunds and 4-6 months for check refunds.
Note: Finalist medals will not be packaged and mailed until the TXSEF team is allowed to return to the Texas A&M campus. At this time, we do not know when that may be.
In this revised TXSEF Research Review, can we count on you to be one of our expert reviewers? We hope so! Being an expert reviewer is a great way honor our students’ hard work throughout the past year while encouraging them to pursue their passion for discovery and research in the future.
Please visit tx.ag/txsef2020reviewers and sign up by Friday, April 17. Those who sign up will receive further instructions by May 3 and will be required to review, comment on, and score abstracts through a web-based portal from May 4-11.
Updated Tuesday, March 17, at 9:45 p.m.
Given the March 17 announcement below regarding how TXSEF is responding the ongoing spread of COVID-19, we will now accept registration payments through April 10 and no late fees will be assessed. If we must resort to cancelling TXSEF for any reason, all those who have paid registration fees will be refunded.
Updated Tuesday, March 17, at 3:25 p.m.
Each day brings forth new challenges and considerations about how to best move forward with TXSEF in 2020. While we hope to host a virtual state fair, we will not advance students to the Regeneron International Science and Engineering Fair this year. The well-being of the students, their families and our judges is our primary concern. New details about how or whether TXSEF will be able to continue will be shared by 5 p.m. on April 10.
In the meantime, please note the following:
- The proposed uploads, deadlines and judging timelines we emailed and posted on March 11 are no longer valid
- We will continue to monitor the duration of school closures and how those closures may impact TXSEF
- The entire TXSEF team is working to take what was an entirely in-person competition entirely online. We appreciate your patience and ask that everyone refrain from calling or emailing the team until Monday, April 13, at which time we will be in a better position to answer questions.
Finally, we hope students will not worry about how TXSEF will proceed in 2020 but work together to actively prevent the spread of COVID-19.
Updated Friday, March 13, at 7:30 p.m.
With the national emergency declared today, we know many are wondering how that may further impact TXSEF. Our team will meet again early next week and will keep you informed of any adjustments to our already amended plans. Thank you for your patience as we all navigate these unprecedented circumstances.
Updated Wednesday March 11, at 9:45 a.m.
Faced with the ongoing spread of COVID-19, Texas A&M Engineering is doing what engineers do best — finding a solution to a current problem. We want to keep participants safe while also honoring their hard work and providing an opportunity to advance to the Regeneron International Science and Engineering Fair.
TXSEF is GOING ONLINE for 2020.
Rather than requiring 1,200 participants (and their families) to travel to Texas A&M, TXSEF participants will receive an email by 5 p.m. on Tuesday, March 17 with a web link and additional instructions on how to:
- Upload a pdf of their final, state-approved abstract and additional forms (form 1C and form 7)
- Upload a high-resolution photo of their presentation board
- Complete a questionnaire
(All uploads must be made and questionnaires completed by 11:59 p.m. on Monday, March 23. No late submissions will be accepted.)
Please note: This means there will be no student events on the Texas A&M campus. Night at the ZACH and the Awards Ceremony are cancelled.
The online TXSEF will be conducted in the following manner:
- Category judges will evaluate and score the participants’ online submissions March 25-26.
- Students advancing to round two will be notified by 7 p.m. on Friday, March 27 by email. Those advancing to round two will also be posted on the TXSEF Facebook page and on this web site.
- Round two and blue ribbon judging will take place virtually on Saturday, March 28.
- Senior division finalists advancing to the blue ribbon judging will be notified between noon – 2 p.m. by email on March 28 and will be expected to be available for an interview via Zoom between 2 – 5 p.m. on March 28
Below are tips for a successful Zoom interview:
- Download Zoom to your phone or computer
- Plan to be interviewed in a quiet room or area
- Speak up and speak clearly
- Dress professionally
- Be aware that the interview will last only 10 minutes
Junior division finalists who advance to blue ribbon judging will be posted on the TXSEF Facebook page and at txsef.tamu.edu. There will be NO ZOOM INTERVIEW for the junior division.
We anticipate a video announcement of the 2020 award winners on the TXSEF Facebook page and on this web site in early April.
If you have questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (855) 919-0951.